I just purchased an older home (1925) which has a gas-fired boiler for steam heat. The home inspector showed that the low-water cutoff valve isn't working. He also suggested that the pressure-relief valve be replaced.
The boiler appears decades old, but the inspector suggested that as long as it doesn't leak I simply maintain it as necessary. I'm having a heating repairman over tomorrow to have a look at it. He estimated by phone that the cost for the low-water cutoff valve would be about $350. I asked about the cost of a replacement boiler and was told about $1,200 plus the cost of fittings, radiator valves, etc.
Considering the age of the boiler, I'm inclined to replace it rather than have it repaired. My assumption is that the existing boiler's efficiency would be much lower than any current unit and, consequently, I should realize some appreciable fuel savings.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!