I just purchased an older home (1925) which has a gas-fired boiler for steam heat. The home inspector showed that the low-water cutoff valve isn't working. He also suggested that the pressure-relief valve be replaced.
The boiler appears decades old, but the inspector suggested that as long as it doesn't leak I simply maintain it as necessary. I'm having a heating repairman over tomorrow to have a look at it. He estimated by phone that the cost for the low-water cutoff valve would be about $350. I asked about the cost of a replacement boiler and was told about $1,200 plus the cost of fittings, radiator valves, etc.
Considering the age of the boiler, I'm inclined to replace it rather than have it repaired. My assumption is that the existing boiler's efficiency would be much lower than any current unit and, consequently, I should realize some appreciable fuel savings.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes