I recently purchased a house and with the colder weather I began to notice that I may have a problem with the heating system. The furnace is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 two-speed. The programable thermostat is a Honeywell. First, the furnace only works with one speed. I've never seen it working at a different speed as the user manual indicates. What can be wrong? Is it the thermostat? Do I need a Carrier thermostat for the dual-speed functionality?
Second, the furnance seem to work hard to heat the 2800 sqft house (two stories). Is the furnance too small for a house this size? The house was renovated and extended. The original house was around 1800 sqft. With the new addition, there are more vents and ducts.
And the last problem, one of the rooms (which is part of the old house) has very low airflow to it. I checked the ducts in the basements, all joints are well sealed with aluminum tape. What can be wrong?
Your advice is appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers