I recently purchased a house and with the colder weather I began to notice that I may have a problem with the heating system. The furnace is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 two-speed. The programable thermostat is a Honeywell. First, the furnace only works with one speed. I've never seen it working at a different speed as the user manual indicates. What can be wrong? Is it the thermostat? Do I need a Carrier thermostat for the dual-speed functionality?
Second, the furnance seem to work hard to heat the 2800 sqft house (two stories). Is the furnance too small for a house this size? The house was renovated and extended. The original house was around 1800 sqft. With the new addition, there are more vents and ducts.
And the last problem, one of the rooms (which is part of the old house) has very low airflow to it. I checked the ducts in the basements, all joints are well sealed with aluminum tape. What can be wrong?
Your advice is appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight