I recently purchased a house and with the colder weather I began to notice that I may have a problem with the heating system. The furnace is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 two-speed. The programable thermostat is a Honeywell. First, the furnace only works with one speed. I've never seen it working at a different speed as the user manual indicates. What can be wrong? Is it the thermostat? Do I need a Carrier thermostat for the dual-speed functionality?
Second, the furnance seem to work hard to heat the 2800 sqft house (two stories). Is the furnance too small for a house this size? The house was renovated and extended. The original house was around 1800 sqft. With the new addition, there are more vents and ducts.
And the last problem, one of the rooms (which is part of the old house) has very low airflow to it. I checked the ducts in the basements, all joints are well sealed with aluminum tape. What can be wrong?
Your advice is appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects