I recently purchased a house and with the colder weather I began to notice that I may have a problem with the heating system. The furnace is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 two-speed. The programable thermostat is a Honeywell. First, the furnace only works with one speed. I've never seen it working at a different speed as the user manual indicates. What can be wrong? Is it the thermostat? Do I need a Carrier thermostat for the dual-speed functionality?
Second, the furnance seem to work hard to heat the 2800 sqft house (two stories). Is the furnance too small for a house this size? The house was renovated and extended. The original house was around 1800 sqft. With the new addition, there are more vents and ducts.
And the last problem, one of the rooms (which is part of the old house) has very low airflow to it. I checked the ducts in the basements, all joints are well sealed with aluminum tape. What can be wrong?
Your advice is appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?