I just recently purchased a 126yr old victorian. The heat in the house works great, all except for the master bedroom. It is sweltering up in there every night. We only have the thermostat set at 63degrees. The rest of the house is extremely comfortable except for this room. The house has natural gas heat, and cast iron radiators in each room. I thought that all we would have to do is turn the knob on the radiator to close the valve a little, but to our surprise, there wasn't any valve. Everynight we sleep with a fan on and the windows open. Mind you, its about 20 degrees here at night in upstate NY.This drives me crazy because thats just wasted heat going out the window that I am paying for, but if I don't we can't sleep. Any suggestions on what I can do??
It's hard to say without knowing exactly how the system is piped. It sounds like your bedroom radiator is oversized. It maybe be able to be balanced differently or may need to be repiped in a different way. Where in upstate NY???
Need more information than this. If it's a steam system there should be a small valve that hisses when the haet comes up. That may be able to be adjusted, to adjust the heat. On a forced hot water system, it could be a failed circulator pump, with the bed room is above the boiler the heat will rise here first. Also the system may be a gravity hot water system. It would be a good bet to add a circ pump to this. C.
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Room Too HOT
What kind of heat should I use?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes