I just recently purchased a 126yr old victorian. The heat in the house works great, all except for the master bedroom. It is sweltering up in there every night. We only have the thermostat set at 63degrees. The rest of the house is extremely comfortable except for this room. The house has natural gas heat, and cast iron radiators in each room. I thought that all we would have to do is turn the knob on the radiator to close the valve a little, but to our surprise, there wasn't any valve. Everynight we sleep with a fan on and the windows open. Mind you, its about 20 degrees here at night in upstate NY.This drives me crazy because thats just wasted heat going out the window that I am paying for, but if I don't we can't sleep. Any suggestions on what I can do??
It's hard to say without knowing exactly how the system is piped. It sounds like your bedroom radiator is oversized. It maybe be able to be balanced differently or may need to be repiped in a different way. Where in upstate NY???
Need more information than this. If it's a steam system there should be a small valve that hisses when the haet comes up. That may be able to be adjusted, to adjust the heat. On a forced hot water system, it could be a failed circulator pump, with the bed room is above the boiler the heat will rise here first. Also the system may be a gravity hot water system. It would be a good bet to add a circ pump to this. C.
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Room Too HOT
What kind of heat should I use?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!