I just recently purchased a 126yr old victorian. The heat in the house works great, all except for the master bedroom. It is sweltering up in there every night. We only have the thermostat set at 63degrees. The rest of the house is extremely comfortable except for this room. The house has natural gas heat, and cast iron radiators in each room. I thought that all we would have to do is turn the knob on the radiator to close the valve a little, but to our surprise, there wasn't any valve. Everynight we sleep with a fan on and the windows open. Mind you, its about 20 degrees here at night in upstate NY.This drives me crazy because thats just wasted heat going out the window that I am paying for, but if I don't we can't sleep. Any suggestions on what I can do??
It's hard to say without knowing exactly how the system is piped. It sounds like your bedroom radiator is oversized. It maybe be able to be balanced differently or may need to be repiped in a different way. Where in upstate NY???
Need more information than this. If it's a steam system there should be a small valve that hisses when the haet comes up. That may be able to be adjusted, to adjust the heat. On a forced hot water system, it could be a failed circulator pump, with the bed room is above the boiler the heat will rise here first. Also the system may be a gravity hot water system. It would be a good bet to add a circ pump to this. C.
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Room Too HOT
What kind of heat should I use?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!