I just recently purchased a 126yr old victorian. The heat in the house works great, all except for the master bedroom. It is sweltering up in there every night. We only have the thermostat set at 63degrees. The rest of the house is extremely comfortable except for this room. The house has natural gas heat, and cast iron radiators in each room. I thought that all we would have to do is turn the knob on the radiator to close the valve a little, but to our surprise, there wasn't any valve. Everynight we sleep with a fan on and the windows open. Mind you, its about 20 degrees here at night in upstate NY.This drives me crazy because thats just wasted heat going out the window that I am paying for, but if I don't we can't sleep. Any suggestions on what I can do??
It's hard to say without knowing exactly how the system is piped. It sounds like your bedroom radiator is oversized. It maybe be able to be balanced differently or may need to be repiped in a different way. Where in upstate NY???
Need more information than this. If it's a steam system there should be a small valve that hisses when the haet comes up. That may be able to be adjusted, to adjust the heat. On a forced hot water system, it could be a failed circulator pump, with the bed room is above the boiler the heat will rise here first. Also the system may be a gravity hot water system. It would be a good bet to add a circ pump to this. C.
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Room Too HOT
What kind of heat should I use?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!