I'm not sure why Bob promotes these guys.
Just some advice, based on personal experience...
If you have been given a sample from LL, and later decide to buy some, ensure that the stuff they sell you is the same as the sample. I was given a sample of the Virginia Mills Handscraped Teak, it had a different finish (better) than the actual wood that was in the boxes I purchased. In fact the I subjected my sample to several scratch resistance tests and hardness tests. The actual wood that they sold me scratched very easily.
Oh, a couple other things to look out for, they'll be happy to sell you, the matching bullnosing, which once the order comes in and after you've paid for it, does not look like your flooring, and then they will tell you that it is not teak, but maple.
Also now, 2/24/07, be aware that there is a 20% restocking fee for returns (must be made within 30 days from purchase).
I had many pieces of flooring with lots of ugly filled knots.
Don't be fooled by the name either, Virginia Mills Handscraped Golden Teak is made in China.
This stuff split very easily, probably 1 out of 3 nails (L-cleats) would split the wood. My research told me to hand nail hardwoods such as teak, but I did not have that kind of time for this project. Air compressor/nailer worked best between 70 & 80 PSI.
Hope that helps someone.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees