I'm not sure why Bob promotes these guys.
Just some advice, based on personal experience...
If you have been given a sample from LL, and later decide to buy some, ensure that the stuff they sell you is the same as the sample. I was given a sample of the Virginia Mills Handscraped Teak, it had a different finish (better) than the actual wood that was in the boxes I purchased. In fact the I subjected my sample to several scratch resistance tests and hardness tests. The actual wood that they sold me scratched very easily.
Oh, a couple other things to look out for, they'll be happy to sell you, the matching bullnosing, which once the order comes in and after you've paid for it, does not look like your flooring, and then they will tell you that it is not teak, but maple.
Also now, 2/24/07, be aware that there is a 20% restocking fee for returns (must be made within 30 days from purchase).
I had many pieces of flooring with lots of ugly filled knots.
Don't be fooled by the name either, Virginia Mills Handscraped Golden Teak is made in China.
This stuff split very easily, probably 1 out of 3 nails (L-cleats) would split the wood. My research told me to hand nail hardwoods such as teak, but I did not have that kind of time for this project. Air compressor/nailer worked best between 70 & 80 PSI.
Hope that helps someone.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!