I have a Trane XE 80 (1990 model) furnance and the fan's electric motor seems to have shorted out. When the thermostat sends a signal to the furnance, the ignitor turns on and the gas ignites, but the fan does not turn on. Instead there is a loud humming noise and a strong smell of burning plastic (like an electrical short smell). I removed the electric motor at the front of our furnace - just above the gas valve. Is this the only electric motor associated with Trane XE80 units? I ask this because it looks like this fan may only be an exhaust fan - do Trane XE80 units have two fans? One for the exhuast and another to force the heat through the house? Also, who typically supplies these parts (i.e., where can a consumer go and buy new parts typically??)
Thanks for your help!
Cold in Colorado
I dont know about the furnace parts housees in colorado, but in georgia in order to buy HVAC parts, you must be licensed as HVAC tech. So I suggest you contact your local HVAC company.
The motor sounds like a combustion blower motor, if it is in the flue exhaust system that is exactly what it is. If it is humming the motor is probably frozen unless it has a capacitor. I would suggest that when you replace the motor you check the temperature rise in the furnace comapred to its name plate temp rise limit. It may be that the flue gas temperature was too high and the motor bearings froze as a result. Sounds like you may just be addressing the symptom not the cause.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes