We bought our 25 year-old home a year ago. It is a two level colonial and is a nice house. The family room has a pretty obnoxious "dip" in the floor. From the basement, it is clearly obvious that the joist sags at the end. Inspections (by me and a professional contractor) reveal no damage to the foundation or structure.
The joist is about 27' long and level except for the last 6 feet or so where it bows downward for a few feet then curves back up. There is an obvious gap between the joist and sub-floor. At the start of the curve, it drops 3/8" then curves up at the end with a 1/8" gap between it and the sub-floor above.
As I said, there is no apparent damage and it appears the joist was probably bowed when it was installed.
There is some sort of filler material between several of the joists and sub-floor. The area in question seems to have "lost" its filler, causing the floor to be pressed down onto the joist, causing the dip.
The contractor said the best thing to do was to install sister joists. If the structure is sound, why mess with it? Can't the sub-floor be re-leveled by shimming?
Thanks so mauch for taking the time to read this, and any advice you can give will be appreciated.
Sistering the joist sounds like the way to go. 6 feet of shims is allot of shiming. An 8' 2x8 should be plenty of support for a 6' run. Don't know about the "filler" material though. Just be careful. It's hard to force a older "settled" home into being level and square without affecting other areas. Have used a 4x4 with a floor jack to apply upward pressure when sistering joists in a 60 year old home we were working on last year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!