I am in the process of building a new home and was wondering which one is the best, energy efficient, and cheapest to install.
1. Overhead duct and vents or
2. floor vents
Think 20 years into the future, you need a furnace changed out and the installer tells you that your foundation had filled with water before and the ductwork has all rotted out.! I suggest that you think about more than just duct work efficiency. THink about 10-20 years from now and what the conditions may be then. I myself would never have ductowrk in the crawl space because I have changed out countless systems that have rotted out, its harder to replace and hey more prone to critter damage. I ran across one just yesterday where the foundation had filled with water over the years, and in less than 15 years the entire system needed relacement.
I would make sure all duct work is through interior walls. I have an older house and the ducts to the second floor run up exterior walls. Nothing like having that first blast of cold air when the furnace kicks in to wake you in the morning. Plus I'm spending money to heat the great outdoors as the heat flows out the uninsulated siding.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!