I am in the process of building a new home and was wondering which one is the best, energy efficient, and cheapest to install.
1. Overhead duct and vents or
2. floor vents
Think 20 years into the future, you need a furnace changed out and the installer tells you that your foundation had filled with water before and the ductwork has all rotted out.! I suggest that you think about more than just duct work efficiency. THink about 10-20 years from now and what the conditions may be then. I myself would never have ductowrk in the crawl space because I have changed out countless systems that have rotted out, its harder to replace and hey more prone to critter damage. I ran across one just yesterday where the foundation had filled with water over the years, and in less than 15 years the entire system needed relacement.
I would make sure all duct work is through interior walls. I have an older house and the ducts to the second floor run up exterior walls. Nothing like having that first blast of cold air when the furnace kicks in to wake you in the morning. Plus I'm spending money to heat the great outdoors as the heat flows out the uninsulated siding.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes