I have a heated, finished basement with a cement floor. The heat is baseboard forced hot water by oil. I'm replacing the vinyl tiles on the floor. Should I also add radiant heat while I'm doing it? Or would that be too much since the room is heated?
There are electric radiant heaters that ceiling mount. Some are panels alot like 2x4 ceiling panels. Others are designed to mount where the wall meets the ceiling. They radiate infra-red heat. I don't know how that will interact with the cold floor. Maybe a carpet and pad would be enough insulation on the floor.
Thank you both for your advice. The cold floor is what I really want to address, so I will look further into the radiant heat. I live in New England and use quite a bit of heating oil in the winters, and that is very costly. So I will make sure not to have radiant heaters (?) put directly on the cold cement slab. Thanks again.
Have you checked out "Cove Heating??" Cove heating is a "reflective" looking shield that mounts on the wall, about a foot from the ceiling. It heats objects great for keeping your cement floors be warm. I have been replacing some of my baseboard heaters with them, using the existing thermostates and wiring. They are MUCH safer being mounted higher on the wall.....I think this would and affordable compared to putting heat in your floor. Check it out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes