Our furnace is 18 years old. The brand is either ARcoaire or Snyder-General. At least those are the stickers on it. Anyway, I have notcied, especially at night that it comes on for 5 minutes, shuts off for 5 minutes and then comes on for 5 minutes. This cycle seems to repeat itself. Anyway, we did have the furnace looked at about 3 years ago for short cycling and just wondered why the problem comes back and what we should do. What are the risks of operating it this way? Thank you.
Before calling for service, check your drain line to make sure it is clear and the condensate is running freely to the drain. Also make sure that your intake and exhaust pipes are clear of leaves and/or debri. If you have an intake pipe with a rubber collar at the furnace, loosen the collar and raise the pipe to see if any leaves are stuck in there. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes