We're building at 3200 sq. ft house. The builder is offering us an 'upgrade' to get a central system humidifier for $800. Is it worth it? Is that a lot? any advice or two cents' worth is appreciated here. We need to let the builder know whether we want this humidifier system or not.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I believe, since its new construction, that the house is going to be properly insulated and taped such that there won't be a problem with air escaping the house and dry air entering the house. In light of that, I was wondering if anyone thought it was necessary in a newly constructed house to spend the extra money on the humidifier.
If you live in a climate with very cold winters, I would say get a humidifier. With normal house leakage aside, cold air cannot hold as much moisture has warmer air. It is impossible to prevent dry, outside air from infiltrating a home with day to day traffic in and out of the home. You do want a percentage of air exchange in your house regularly anyway. Especially in new construction when your home and furnishing may outgas for up to a year. I would get a humidier, one that is automatic with a sensor mounted outside eliminating any guess work on the setting. Comfort humidity is usallly 35%, your house likes 20-25%. Use with care. Good luck.
Here is a place to start:
Here is a place to start:
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes