I have a gas forced air furnace in my attic. It's at least 25 years old, maybe closer to 30 or 40.
In a month or two, I'll be putting a new roof on my house, and I'm thinking that if my roof is coming off my house, it might be an opportune time to install a new furnace. Or maybe to even price out installing central air conditioning. Some options would be nice, but when I look for furnace sales in the phone book, all I get are fly-by-night furnace repair companies.
How would I go about replacing the furnace, or where would I start to just budget and outline the dimensions of such a project? I'm in Los Angeles, and if there's a way to add central air to my house, I would love to find out what that will cost in time, effort, and dollars.
What advice does anyone have for this process?
Thanks for the advice... Any thoughts on how/where to find good and reputable sales companies in my area? The local yellow pages list 122 companies under 'Furnace - Sales', and most of them are AAA Heating, AM Heating, A&J Heating, etc... and the four or five I've called don't do sales. Very frustrating, and I'm not inclined to call through the entire list of 122. That's the frustrating part.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight