I have a gas forced air furnace in my attic. It's at least 25 years old, maybe closer to 30 or 40.
In a month or two, I'll be putting a new roof on my house, and I'm thinking that if my roof is coming off my house, it might be an opportune time to install a new furnace. Or maybe to even price out installing central air conditioning. Some options would be nice, but when I look for furnace sales in the phone book, all I get are fly-by-night furnace repair companies.
How would I go about replacing the furnace, or where would I start to just budget and outline the dimensions of such a project? I'm in Los Angeles, and if there's a way to add central air to my house, I would love to find out what that will cost in time, effort, and dollars.
What advice does anyone have for this process?
Thanks for the advice... Any thoughts on how/where to find good and reputable sales companies in my area? The local yellow pages list 122 companies under 'Furnace - Sales', and most of them are AAA Heating, AM Heating, A&J Heating, etc... and the four or five I've called don't do sales. Very frustrating, and I'm not inclined to call through the entire list of 122. That's the frustrating part.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs