I have a gas forced air furnace in my attic. It's at least 25 years old, maybe closer to 30 or 40.
In a month or two, I'll be putting a new roof on my house, and I'm thinking that if my roof is coming off my house, it might be an opportune time to install a new furnace. Or maybe to even price out installing central air conditioning. Some options would be nice, but when I look for furnace sales in the phone book, all I get are fly-by-night furnace repair companies.
How would I go about replacing the furnace, or where would I start to just budget and outline the dimensions of such a project? I'm in Los Angeles, and if there's a way to add central air to my house, I would love to find out what that will cost in time, effort, and dollars.
What advice does anyone have for this process?
Thanks for the advice... Any thoughts on how/where to find good and reputable sales companies in my area? The local yellow pages list 122 companies under 'Furnace - Sales', and most of them are AAA Heating, AM Heating, A&J Heating, etc... and the four or five I've called don't do sales. Very frustrating, and I'm not inclined to call through the entire list of 122. That's the frustrating part.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes