I have a gas forced air furnace in my attic. It's at least 25 years old, maybe closer to 30 or 40.
In a month or two, I'll be putting a new roof on my house, and I'm thinking that if my roof is coming off my house, it might be an opportune time to install a new furnace. Or maybe to even price out installing central air conditioning. Some options would be nice, but when I look for furnace sales in the phone book, all I get are fly-by-night furnace repair companies.
How would I go about replacing the furnace, or where would I start to just budget and outline the dimensions of such a project? I'm in Los Angeles, and if there's a way to add central air to my house, I would love to find out what that will cost in time, effort, and dollars.
What advice does anyone have for this process?
Thanks for the advice... Any thoughts on how/where to find good and reputable sales companies in my area? The local yellow pages list 122 companies under 'Furnace - Sales', and most of them are AAA Heating, AM Heating, A&J Heating, etc... and the four or five I've called don't do sales. Very frustrating, and I'm not inclined to call through the entire list of 122. That's the frustrating part.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs