Need some help here. Our house traps alot of heat on the 2nd floor and I have been planning on adding a whole house fan for a while now. I recently went to ********** and bought a 30 in fan unit. Last weekend I decided to start and picked a good spot in the hallway and then climbed up into the attic to see what I had. BIG PROBLEM. The attic is a series of trusses and they all meet right in the middle of the hallway. I would have to cut a truss to install the fan.
What do I do now? Is it ok to cut a truss or do I brace it in some other fashion? I am pretty handy and do alot of projects around the house but in this case I really don't know what to do.
Don't cut any trusses...Cut out plaster on ceiling, install door, and build a duct system, you can put the fan anywhere, it's the "door", that has to be mounted in the ceiling.If the trusses are still in the way Maybe you can trim-frame the ceiling door. I wouldn't cut any trusses, this is asking for trouble.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes