Need some help here. Our house traps alot of heat on the 2nd floor and I have been planning on adding a whole house fan for a while now. I recently went to ********** and bought a 30 in fan unit. Last weekend I decided to start and picked a good spot in the hallway and then climbed up into the attic to see what I had. BIG PROBLEM. The attic is a series of trusses and they all meet right in the middle of the hallway. I would have to cut a truss to install the fan.
What do I do now? Is it ok to cut a truss or do I brace it in some other fashion? I am pretty handy and do alot of projects around the house but in this case I really don't know what to do.
Don't cut any trusses...Cut out plaster on ceiling, install door, and build a duct system, you can put the fan anywhere, it's the "door", that has to be mounted in the ceiling.If the trusses are still in the way Maybe you can trim-frame the ceiling door. I wouldn't cut any trusses, this is asking for trouble.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!