We're in the midst of a basement renovation and one of the huge problems with this basement (since we bought the house, anyway) has always been that it's about 5-7 degrees colder than the rest of the house. The ducts are being re-routed, more return air from the main floor is being added, and hopefully our entire HVAC system will run more efficiently when all is said and done.
However, our HVAC expert thinks that all this work will probably only get us a basement that's STILL 3-4 degrees colder than the rest of the house. He suggests putting radiant heat in the perimeter of the house to supplement our regular forced air heat system.
Does this make sense? Why only have the radiant heat on the perimeter (other than cost)? Will that be a problem?
Putting heat on the perimeter of the house causes the heat to move to the outside . The theory of heat is: Heat travels to cold and the greater the difference between the two the faster the heat travels .The only reason that radiators are put under windows is to prevent the glass from sweating. If you put heat into basement but it in the center and keep the pipe at least 18 inches from outside walls . Your installer will tell you that the most heat should be on the perimeter to cut off the cold. This is in the belief that cold travel to the heat but as the theory states cold goes nowhere. I have seen in floor heat system that put the heat on the perimeter be so costly to run that they were abandon.
Is radiant heat too much?
Radiant Heat - Electric or Hydronic for Heated Drive...
IN floor radiant heat
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!