I have a question on a house that we are looking at purchasing. The house is a duplex built around 1900. The bottom is 3 bedroom roughly 1200 sq feet. It is currently heated with a old style gas space heater (It is brown in color) that is located in the dining room which is in the center of the house. The heater is vented straight up the wall through what looks like a 6 inch pipe.
The upstairs is heated with a gas wall furnace (also appears to be old). I am not sure of the age of these two but would like to update them none the less.
We reside in Michigan and the former owner stated that in the 3 bedroom the gas bill was about $140 annually. I was wondering what would be the most cost effective way to heat these two apartments.
Since there is no duct work done to put in a conventional forced air furnace and duct work was quoted a rough estimate of $5k. To replace the heater with a more current model was quoted $1K to 2K.
I was just looking for thoughts and ideas.
A few years ago I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with a similar setup and it was comfortable. But I was wondering about the pipes and etc since there is no heat in the crawl space? This is our first house and want to get this right the first time.
What would I then do with the pipe from the old unit? I was thinking about installing a direct vent (using pipe) gas fireplace. Then also adding a direct vent outside type of furnace? Any thoughts on that? I am just confused as to why the pipes wouldn't freeze living in michigan and also since the crawl space has no heat to it that I know of?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!