We are replacing our furnace and are trying to decide whether to put the new furnace under the house or in the attice.
We currently have a floor furnace, with all of the heat coming out of one big register in the middle of the house. We are replacing it with a forced air furnace, with ducts going to each room. The house is 1279 square feet.
We've had several people come and give estimates, and the most reasonble of them suggested that we put the furnace in the attic so we don't have to deal with the ductwork taking up space in the basement. I'm wondering about the efficiency of a system in the attic, with registers in the ceiling, versus one from the basement, with registers in the floor.
Any input/advice is much appreciated.
Heating systems work best with the grilles in the floor since the warm air is delivered low and rises by convection. Air delivered at the ceiling from an attic system has a greater tendency to stratify especially in high ceiling situations. The heating system is just like a human, it works best in a comfortable environment. Anyplace with extreme heat or cold is harder on the equipment. In winter, basements tend to be slightly warmer than attics, thus the ducts and fan unit loose less heat nad lower frequency of maintenance. Ideally, the whole system would be located within the conditioned space of the house. Vertical heating units are slightly more efficient than horizontal units. Most of these advantages suggest a basement installation. Attics tend to have poor access and very restricted installation space. Installation costs are usually less for attic systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects