We are replacing our furnace and are trying to decide whether to put the new furnace under the house or in the attice.
We currently have a floor furnace, with all of the heat coming out of one big register in the middle of the house. We are replacing it with a forced air furnace, with ducts going to each room. The house is 1279 square feet.
We've had several people come and give estimates, and the most reasonble of them suggested that we put the furnace in the attic so we don't have to deal with the ductwork taking up space in the basement. I'm wondering about the efficiency of a system in the attic, with registers in the ceiling, versus one from the basement, with registers in the floor.
Any input/advice is much appreciated.
Heating systems work best with the grilles in the floor since the warm air is delivered low and rises by convection. Air delivered at the ceiling from an attic system has a greater tendency to stratify especially in high ceiling situations. The heating system is just like a human, it works best in a comfortable environment. Anyplace with extreme heat or cold is harder on the equipment. In winter, basements tend to be slightly warmer than attics, thus the ducts and fan unit loose less heat nad lower frequency of maintenance. Ideally, the whole system would be located within the conditioned space of the house. Vertical heating units are slightly more efficient than horizontal units. Most of these advantages suggest a basement installation. Attics tend to have poor access and very restricted installation space. Installation costs are usually less for attic systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY