We are replacing our furnace and are trying to decide whether to put the new furnace under the house or in the attice.
We currently have a floor furnace, with all of the heat coming out of one big register in the middle of the house. We are replacing it with a forced air furnace, with ducts going to each room. The house is 1279 square feet.
We've had several people come and give estimates, and the most reasonble of them suggested that we put the furnace in the attic so we don't have to deal with the ductwork taking up space in the basement. I'm wondering about the efficiency of a system in the attic, with registers in the ceiling, versus one from the basement, with registers in the floor.
Any input/advice is much appreciated.
Heating systems work best with the grilles in the floor since the warm air is delivered low and rises by convection. Air delivered at the ceiling from an attic system has a greater tendency to stratify especially in high ceiling situations. The heating system is just like a human, it works best in a comfortable environment. Anyplace with extreme heat or cold is harder on the equipment. In winter, basements tend to be slightly warmer than attics, thus the ducts and fan unit loose less heat nad lower frequency of maintenance. Ideally, the whole system would be located within the conditioned space of the house. Vertical heating units are slightly more efficient than horizontal units. Most of these advantages suggest a basement installation. Attics tend to have poor access and very restricted installation space. Installation costs are usually less for attic systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!