We are replacing our furnace and are trying to decide whether to put the new furnace under the house or in the attice.
We currently have a floor furnace, with all of the heat coming out of one big register in the middle of the house. We are replacing it with a forced air furnace, with ducts going to each room. The house is 1279 square feet.
We've had several people come and give estimates, and the most reasonble of them suggested that we put the furnace in the attic so we don't have to deal with the ductwork taking up space in the basement. I'm wondering about the efficiency of a system in the attic, with registers in the ceiling, versus one from the basement, with registers in the floor.
Any input/advice is much appreciated.
Heating systems work best with the grilles in the floor since the warm air is delivered low and rises by convection. Air delivered at the ceiling from an attic system has a greater tendency to stratify especially in high ceiling situations. The heating system is just like a human, it works best in a comfortable environment. Anyplace with extreme heat or cold is harder on the equipment. In winter, basements tend to be slightly warmer than attics, thus the ducts and fan unit loose less heat nad lower frequency of maintenance. Ideally, the whole system would be located within the conditioned space of the house. Vertical heating units are slightly more efficient than horizontal units. Most of these advantages suggest a basement installation. Attics tend to have poor access and very restricted installation space. Installation costs are usually less for attic systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!