Our funance (a 100,000 btu Lennox conservator III installed in 1987) has been cycling on and off in short cycles, apparently for a very long time though we just noticed the problem recently. Our house is a 1956 single story ranch in northern CA (1700 SF).
The service rep who came out concluded that the return air duct is undersized causing the furnace to overheat, hence the short cycling. He said the ingnitor and control panel are OK. He demonstrated the problem to me by removing the panels from the front of the blower & burner compartments (giving the furnace unlimited intake air) and the short cycling stopped.
The existing return duct is 10" and runs through the attic along a central hallway, then steps up to 14" in the garage where the furnace is. The service rep said the return duct should at least be 14" and more likely 20".
I guess my questions are:
1. Does this diagnosis sound correct?
2. Given the age of the furnace and the return duct problem he suggested we consider a new furnance rather than just getting the duct work re-done. He says the existing 100,000 btu unit is oversized for our 1700 SF house and that all the short cycling over a long period has likely taken a toll on the furnace. Does this sound reasonable or should we just get the duct work done?
Thanks very much in advance,
Multiple Furnaces Sharing Return
Electronic Air Filters (Cleaners)
Cold Air returns in the up stairs of my 1910 2 story...
HVAC duct work
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes