Central heating systems forced air
My house has a crawlspace.
It's been tough getting heating contractors to come out and give an estimate. I've only been able to get 2 estimates thus far. It seems that business is so good for these guys that they can afford to be choosey.
Contractor #1 said to put the heating unit in the house attic. A single ceiling duct would each be run into the bedrooms, kitchen, the bath plus the living room/dining room combination.
Contractor #2 proposed to put the heating unit in the garage attic (would make servicing much easier), run a ceiling duct each into the bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and TWO ducts in the living room/dining room combination plus an intake duct in the hallway. The hall intake duct was explained that this duct would recirculate air sucked in from the other rooms.
I'm confused. Since air rises, would it not be better to put ducts in the floor? For houses that don't have crawlspace, how is the house efficiently heated if the warm air is coming from the ceiling? Since warm air rises, is it not silly to put the ducts in the ceiling?
Forced air electric vs. elec. wall heaters
Forced-air electric heat
Adding boiler to current forced air
Installing baseboard hot water systems in houses wit...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps