Central heating systems forced air
My house has a crawlspace.
It's been tough getting heating contractors to come out and give an estimate. I've only been able to get 2 estimates thus far. It seems that business is so good for these guys that they can afford to be choosey.
Contractor #1 said to put the heating unit in the house attic. A single ceiling duct would each be run into the bedrooms, kitchen, the bath plus the living room/dining room combination.
Contractor #2 proposed to put the heating unit in the garage attic (would make servicing much easier), run a ceiling duct each into the bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and TWO ducts in the living room/dining room combination plus an intake duct in the hallway. The hall intake duct was explained that this duct would recirculate air sucked in from the other rooms.
I'm confused. Since air rises, would it not be better to put ducts in the floor? For houses that don't have crawlspace, how is the house efficiently heated if the warm air is coming from the ceiling? Since warm air rises, is it not silly to put the ducts in the ceiling?
Forced air electric vs. elec. wall heaters
Forced-air electric heat
Adding boiler to current forced air
Installing baseboard hot water systems in houses wit...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY