Central heating systems forced air
My house has a crawlspace.
It's been tough getting heating contractors to come out and give an estimate. I've only been able to get 2 estimates thus far. It seems that business is so good for these guys that they can afford to be choosey.
Contractor #1 said to put the heating unit in the house attic. A single ceiling duct would each be run into the bedrooms, kitchen, the bath plus the living room/dining room combination.
Contractor #2 proposed to put the heating unit in the garage attic (would make servicing much easier), run a ceiling duct each into the bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and TWO ducts in the living room/dining room combination plus an intake duct in the hallway. The hall intake duct was explained that this duct would recirculate air sucked in from the other rooms.
I'm confused. Since air rises, would it not be better to put ducts in the floor? For houses that don't have crawlspace, how is the house efficiently heated if the warm air is coming from the ceiling? Since warm air rises, is it not silly to put the ducts in the ceiling?
Forced air electric vs. elec. wall heaters
Forced-air electric heat
Adding boiler to current forced air
Installing baseboard hot water systems in houses wit...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers