Central heating systems forced air
My house has a crawlspace.
It's been tough getting heating contractors to come out and give an estimate. I've only been able to get 2 estimates thus far. It seems that business is so good for these guys that they can afford to be choosey.
Contractor #1 said to put the heating unit in the house attic. A single ceiling duct would each be run into the bedrooms, kitchen, the bath plus the living room/dining room combination.
Contractor #2 proposed to put the heating unit in the garage attic (would make servicing much easier), run a ceiling duct each into the bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and TWO ducts in the living room/dining room combination plus an intake duct in the hallway. The hall intake duct was explained that this duct would recirculate air sucked in from the other rooms.
I'm confused. Since air rises, would it not be better to put ducts in the floor? For houses that don't have crawlspace, how is the house efficiently heated if the warm air is coming from the ceiling? Since warm air rises, is it not silly to put the ducts in the ceiling?
Forced air electric vs. elec. wall heaters
Forced-air electric heat
Adding boiler to current forced air
Installing baseboard hot water systems in houses wit...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs