I need some help. Just bought a new house. 1980 sq. ft. on main level, 10 ft. ceilings, 9 ft. in basement that is walkout and unfinished. The builder installed a WeatherKing 92% AFUE upflow gas furnace.
We have four cold air returns. One in each of three bedrooms, and one in the living room. All of them are located on the wall near the ceiling. The house seems cold to me even with the thermostat set at 72. Windows and doors are ok. I sealed all electrical boxes and holes for ext pipes, wiring myself. 2X6 construction with enough insulation to qualify for energy efficiency rebates. So, I'm down to the furnace and duct design.
Are my cold air returns improperly placed. Would that have anything to do with the problems. There is a large cold air return vent in the basement that I decided to "choke off" half way. I don't want to completely block it without checking with someone here who knows. Duct runs are straight (i.e. not a lot of bends or s-curves).
On a side note, the furnace seems noisy to me. Is this because it's a high efficiecy furnace? Or, does the brand suck? I talked with a local HVAC tech who said the fact that the blower compartment is not insulated would only be cause for noise surrounding the unit and would not affect noise coming through the ducts. Is this true? Sorry for the slew of questions and I appreciate any responses that I get. Thanks folks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love