I need some help. Just bought a new house. 1980 sq. ft. on main level, 10 ft. ceilings, 9 ft. in basement that is walkout and unfinished. The builder installed a WeatherKing 92% AFUE upflow gas furnace.
We have four cold air returns. One in each of three bedrooms, and one in the living room. All of them are located on the wall near the ceiling. The house seems cold to me even with the thermostat set at 72. Windows and doors are ok. I sealed all electrical boxes and holes for ext pipes, wiring myself. 2X6 construction with enough insulation to qualify for energy efficiency rebates. So, I'm down to the furnace and duct design.
Are my cold air returns improperly placed. Would that have anything to do with the problems. There is a large cold air return vent in the basement that I decided to "choke off" half way. I don't want to completely block it without checking with someone here who knows. Duct runs are straight (i.e. not a lot of bends or s-curves).
On a side note, the furnace seems noisy to me. Is this because it's a high efficiecy furnace? Or, does the brand suck? I talked with a local HVAC tech who said the fact that the blower compartment is not insulated would only be cause for noise surrounding the unit and would not affect noise coming through the ducts. Is this true? Sorry for the slew of questions and I appreciate any responses that I get. Thanks folks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes