I have a 25+ year old home with a same age central air system that needs to be replaced. I plan to have a 3 ton Carrier Performance system installed but I need to decide if I will have the existing ducts replaced as well.
The current ducts are made of duct (fiber) board and in the attic seem to be insulated on the outside. I need to know if there is any health hazard posed by these fiberboard ducts during the normal operation of the ac system.
One AC contactor quoted me a $9000 price which includes replacing the fiberboard ducts with sheet metal. He stated that the old fiberboard ducts may be releasing fiberglass particles into my house when the air is on.
Another contractor claims that the ducts are in good shape and do not need to be replaced. His price for the same job, but with no duct work is $6000.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm especially concerned about air quality in the home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees