I have a 25+ year old home with a same age central air system that needs to be replaced. I plan to have a 3 ton Carrier Performance system installed but I need to decide if I will have the existing ducts replaced as well.
The current ducts are made of duct (fiber) board and in the attic seem to be insulated on the outside. I need to know if there is any health hazard posed by these fiberboard ducts during the normal operation of the ac system.
One AC contactor quoted me a $9000 price which includes replacing the fiberboard ducts with sheet metal. He stated that the old fiberboard ducts may be releasing fiberglass particles into my house when the air is on.
Another contractor claims that the ducts are in good shape and do not need to be replaced. His price for the same job, but with no duct work is $6000.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm especially concerned about air quality in the home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes