I recently purchased a 1600 sq ft house with gas-fired boiler heat. The boiler is approximately 40 years old (144k BTU), and needs to be serviced. I received a credit at closing for the service, in the amount of $500.
I managed to locate a New Yorker CGS 50 boiler(tech info at- http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/lit/cgsa.pdf) with minor cosmetic damage for $400. I have been told during the initial estimates that this boiler will work for my house, so I assume that I have steam heat.
To me, it is a no-brainer to have it replaced. The seller is willing to allow my HVAC tech inspect the boiler at time of purchase, so I can walk away if it is more significantly damaged than it appears.
Here is where I need your help. I have had 2 quotes for installation:
One quote was $3900 and included a new chimney liner.
The other quote was for $1600 and did not include a new liner.
Do I NEED a new liner? Obviously with a new home purchase money is tight, but I don't want to install the bolier only to have my chimney collapse in 5 years!
Thanks in advance!
Please help-- need uggestions--please, please.
please help...any1 care 2 give info about cheap ther...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs