I recently purchased a 1600 sq ft house with gas-fired boiler heat. The boiler is approximately 40 years old (144k BTU), and needs to be serviced. I received a credit at closing for the service, in the amount of $500.
I managed to locate a New Yorker CGS 50 boiler(tech info at- http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/lit/cgsa.pdf) with minor cosmetic damage for $400. I have been told during the initial estimates that this boiler will work for my house, so I assume that I have steam heat.
To me, it is a no-brainer to have it replaced. The seller is willing to allow my HVAC tech inspect the boiler at time of purchase, so I can walk away if it is more significantly damaged than it appears.
Here is where I need your help. I have had 2 quotes for installation:
One quote was $3900 and included a new chimney liner.
The other quote was for $1600 and did not include a new liner.
Do I NEED a new liner? Obviously with a new home purchase money is tight, but I don't want to install the bolier only to have my chimney collapse in 5 years!
Thanks in advance!
Please help-- need uggestions--please, please.
please help...any1 care 2 give info about cheap ther...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees