I recently purchased a 1600 sq ft house with gas-fired boiler heat. The boiler is approximately 40 years old (144k BTU), and needs to be serviced. I received a credit at closing for the service, in the amount of $500.
I managed to locate a New Yorker CGS 50 boiler(tech info at- http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/lit/cgsa.pdf) with minor cosmetic damage for $400. I have been told during the initial estimates that this boiler will work for my house, so I assume that I have steam heat.
To me, it is a no-brainer to have it replaced. The seller is willing to allow my HVAC tech inspect the boiler at time of purchase, so I can walk away if it is more significantly damaged than it appears.
Here is where I need your help. I have had 2 quotes for installation:
One quote was $3900 and included a new chimney liner.
The other quote was for $1600 and did not include a new liner.
Do I NEED a new liner? Obviously with a new home purchase money is tight, but I don't want to install the bolier only to have my chimney collapse in 5 years!
Thanks in advance!
Please help-- need uggestions--please, please.
please help...any1 care 2 give info about cheap ther...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?