I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered in the past. I scrolled through about 25 pages but didn't see anything if it has .
The chimney in my house has 3 flues. One flue is occupied with an oil burning furnace in the basement. Another flue is occupied with a fireplace on the first floor. A third flue is unoccupied and has a port in the basement.
The chimney was built in 1996 and the currently vacant flue- I think- was supposed to have a propane burning hot water heater in it. But, the previous owners must have ran out of money so they just let the hot water heater vent into the basement. I have removed the propane water heater and replaced it with an electric one.
I have a wood stove that was formerly at my parent's house and I am contemplating installing it in the unoccupied flue in the basement to supplement my oil furnace.
The unoccupied flue is tile lined and looks to have been never used. It's dimensions are 11 inches by 6 and 3/4 inches.
From the top of the chimney to the port in the basement is 18 feet. (The port is an 8" diameter hole"
I have two questions:
1) Should I put a liner in the flue?
2) would a 6" diameter flue with 18 feet of chimney be adequate for a wood stove?
I don't have the details of the wood stove in front of me right now and won't have those details until Tuesday night.
Any info you can offer would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips