I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered in the past. I scrolled through about 25 pages but didn't see anything if it has .
The chimney in my house has 3 flues. One flue is occupied with an oil burning furnace in the basement. Another flue is occupied with a fireplace on the first floor. A third flue is unoccupied and has a port in the basement.
The chimney was built in 1996 and the currently vacant flue- I think- was supposed to have a propane burning hot water heater in it. But, the previous owners must have ran out of money so they just let the hot water heater vent into the basement. I have removed the propane water heater and replaced it with an electric one.
I have a wood stove that was formerly at my parent's house and I am contemplating installing it in the unoccupied flue in the basement to supplement my oil furnace.
The unoccupied flue is tile lined and looks to have been never used. It's dimensions are 11 inches by 6 and 3/4 inches.
From the top of the chimney to the port in the basement is 18 feet. (The port is an 8" diameter hole"
I have two questions:
1) Should I put a liner in the flue?
2) would a 6" diameter flue with 18 feet of chimney be adequate for a wood stove?
I don't have the details of the wood stove in front of me right now and won't have those details until Tuesday night.
Any info you can offer would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs