I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered in the past. I scrolled through about 25 pages but didn't see anything if it has .
The chimney in my house has 3 flues. One flue is occupied with an oil burning furnace in the basement. Another flue is occupied with a fireplace on the first floor. A third flue is unoccupied and has a port in the basement.
The chimney was built in 1996 and the currently vacant flue- I think- was supposed to have a propane burning hot water heater in it. But, the previous owners must have ran out of money so they just let the hot water heater vent into the basement. I have removed the propane water heater and replaced it with an electric one.
I have a wood stove that was formerly at my parent's house and I am contemplating installing it in the unoccupied flue in the basement to supplement my oil furnace.
The unoccupied flue is tile lined and looks to have been never used. It's dimensions are 11 inches by 6 and 3/4 inches.
From the top of the chimney to the port in the basement is 18 feet. (The port is an 8" diameter hole"
I have two questions:
1) Should I put a liner in the flue?
2) would a 6" diameter flue with 18 feet of chimney be adequate for a wood stove?
I don't have the details of the wood stove in front of me right now and won't have those details until Tuesday night.
Any info you can offer would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda