I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered in the past. I scrolled through about 25 pages but didn't see anything if it has .
The chimney in my house has 3 flues. One flue is occupied with an oil burning furnace in the basement. Another flue is occupied with a fireplace on the first floor. A third flue is unoccupied and has a port in the basement.
The chimney was built in 1996 and the currently vacant flue- I think- was supposed to have a propane burning hot water heater in it. But, the previous owners must have ran out of money so they just let the hot water heater vent into the basement. I have removed the propane water heater and replaced it with an electric one.
I have a wood stove that was formerly at my parent's house and I am contemplating installing it in the unoccupied flue in the basement to supplement my oil furnace.
The unoccupied flue is tile lined and looks to have been never used. It's dimensions are 11 inches by 6 and 3/4 inches.
From the top of the chimney to the port in the basement is 18 feet. (The port is an 8" diameter hole"
I have two questions:
1) Should I put a liner in the flue?
2) would a 6" diameter flue with 18 feet of chimney be adequate for a wood stove?
I don't have the details of the wood stove in front of me right now and won't have those details until Tuesday night.
Any info you can offer would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight