I am a homeowner with very limited knowledge about hvac systems, so please bear with me--if you want to explain it like I was a 2-year old, that's fine with me! :-)
My evaporator coil unit was leaking water, so the hvac repair person first blew out the drain pipe. It still leaked, so he checked the freon, said it was low, which, he thought was causing it to cool too much resulting in condensation everywhere in the evaporator coil unit. He filled it with freon, but it still leaked water. He checked the freon level again, said it was fine, and wanted to replace the evaporator coil unit. Given that it was old, and I have insurance for it, I told him to go ahead and order it. Now the insurance company called me to say that they had been informed by the repairman that they no longer make evaporator coils of that size, and there is not enough height to put in the new units. What they want to do is to replace my existing furnace with a new shorter one that would allow a new taller evap coil unit to be put in. OF course, the furnace is not covered, as there is nothing wrong with it, and I would have to pay for it. Is this a reasonable recommendation? The current unit is 28"l x 21"w, and is 18.5" high. The furnace is 46" tall, and the metal connection between the evap coil and the furnace is 6.25" high at the drain end, and 6.75" high at the opposite end. There is at most 3" of room above the evap unit before you get to the main ductwork.
Is there someplace I can check to see if I can find a coil that would fit? Is it worth having someone cut the side to determine if there is just a leak in the pan? If I have omitted any vital info, please ask. I thank you for any information you may provide.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes