Winter is just turning the nights cold here in North Texas. Our central heater (located in the attic)is doing something a little different this year. When it comes on in the middle of the night, it‚Äôs about 35 degrees-F outside. And the thermostat is set calling for heat to come on at 60 degrees. But the heater fan runs for only 2 minutes, then turns off for 2 minutes, and then back on again. This lasts for about 2 hours every night when the heater first comes on. The constant cycling on and off can not be energy efficient‚Ä¶.. and the noise keeps us awake at night.
Can you tell me why the unit is doing that? Is there an something that I can make to correct it?
our heater has been doing the same thing and it has an electric ignition which is equally annoying. this summer we found out we had a gas leak under the house and it was repaired and we hoped it would improve, but no luck. our thermostat is an older model, could that be the cause?
i found a website when searching mercury thermostats that explained the entire mechanism of action. i too am in north texas and it is cold and windy tonight. the thermostat reads approx 60 and it is set on 90 at this time. i manipulated the anticipator and it seems to help a little but according to the website it should be moved clockwise but the arrows on the face display a counterclockwise direction for longer cycles. also, when they discuss the position of the wiper, is it the long end or the arrow end that should be closest to the yellow wire?
Make and model # is: American Standard, Freedom 80, model #TXC048C4HPB1. I have heard that if the house is below 60 degrees, the unit will cycle every 3 minutes until the house warms above 60. And then the unit will run steadily until the thermostat setting is reached. Is that true?
The thermostat is less than 3 years old. It is a digital programable item that allows us to select a cooler temp (we chose 55 degrees) while we are away or asleep.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love