Winter is just turning the nights cold here in North Texas. Our central heater (located in the attic)is doing something a little different this year. When it comes on in the middle of the night, it‚Äôs about 35 degrees-F outside. And the thermostat is set calling for heat to come on at 60 degrees. But the heater fan runs for only 2 minutes, then turns off for 2 minutes, and then back on again. This lasts for about 2 hours every night when the heater first comes on. The constant cycling on and off can not be energy efficient‚Ä¶.. and the noise keeps us awake at night.
Can you tell me why the unit is doing that? Is there an something that I can make to correct it?
our heater has been doing the same thing and it has an electric ignition which is equally annoying. this summer we found out we had a gas leak under the house and it was repaired and we hoped it would improve, but no luck. our thermostat is an older model, could that be the cause?
i found a website when searching mercury thermostats that explained the entire mechanism of action. i too am in north texas and it is cold and windy tonight. the thermostat reads approx 60 and it is set on 90 at this time. i manipulated the anticipator and it seems to help a little but according to the website it should be moved clockwise but the arrows on the face display a counterclockwise direction for longer cycles. also, when they discuss the position of the wiper, is it the long end or the arrow end that should be closest to the yellow wire?
Make and model # is: American Standard, Freedom 80, model #TXC048C4HPB1. I have heard that if the house is below 60 degrees, the unit will cycle every 3 minutes until the house warms above 60. And then the unit will run steadily until the thermostat setting is reached. Is that true?
The thermostat is less than 3 years old. It is a digital programable item that allows us to select a cooler temp (we chose 55 degrees) while we are away or asleep.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs