I live in an older home with an old cast iron (huge!) boiler. I have radiator/steam heat throughout the house. The boiler uses oil, but I have gas piped in for an upstairs heater and my dryer.
Long story short - the furnace is on it's last legs, so here's my questions:
1) How can I find out or figure out what is the best system for my home? Is there a website or websites that have things like that to help you decide?
2) should I stay with radiator/steam or swap to something else like forced hot air. Again - efficiency and heating ability?
3) Is there any advantages to sticking with oil or changing to gas (since I have both in the home) other than prices
4) Is a tankless better than sticking with a water tank? I've heard some are very costly because they constantly are heating your water up, not just when needed.
5) My upstairs is currently only gas (in the wall heater). The second floor was converted. Would it be beneficial to try to join the systems together?
Thanks so much for your help! I need to really start my research on the best system for me and am starting from scratch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes