I live in an older home with an old cast iron (huge!) boiler. I have radiator/steam heat throughout the house. The boiler uses oil, but I have gas piped in for an upstairs heater and my dryer.
Long story short - the furnace is on it's last legs, so here's my questions:
1) How can I find out or figure out what is the best system for my home? Is there a website or websites that have things like that to help you decide?
2) should I stay with radiator/steam or swap to something else like forced hot air. Again - efficiency and heating ability?
3) Is there any advantages to sticking with oil or changing to gas (since I have both in the home) other than prices
4) Is a tankless better than sticking with a water tank? I've heard some are very costly because they constantly are heating your water up, not just when needed.
5) My upstairs is currently only gas (in the wall heater). The second floor was converted. Would it be beneficial to try to join the systems together?
Thanks so much for your help! I need to really start my research on the best system for me and am starting from scratch.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda