I live in an older home with an old cast iron (huge!) boiler. I have radiator/steam heat throughout the house. The boiler uses oil, but I have gas piped in for an upstairs heater and my dryer.
Long story short - the furnace is on it's last legs, so here's my questions:
1) How can I find out or figure out what is the best system for my home? Is there a website or websites that have things like that to help you decide?
2) should I stay with radiator/steam or swap to something else like forced hot air. Again - efficiency and heating ability?
3) Is there any advantages to sticking with oil or changing to gas (since I have both in the home) other than prices
4) Is a tankless better than sticking with a water tank? I've heard some are very costly because they constantly are heating your water up, not just when needed.
5) My upstairs is currently only gas (in the wall heater). The second floor was converted. Would it be beneficial to try to join the systems together?
Thanks so much for your help! I need to really start my research on the best system for me and am starting from scratch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs