I live in an older home with an old cast iron (huge!) boiler. I have radiator/steam heat throughout the house. The boiler uses oil, but I have gas piped in for an upstairs heater and my dryer.
Long story short - the furnace is on it's last legs, so here's my questions:
1) How can I find out or figure out what is the best system for my home? Is there a website or websites that have things like that to help you decide?
2) should I stay with radiator/steam or swap to something else like forced hot air. Again - efficiency and heating ability?
3) Is there any advantages to sticking with oil or changing to gas (since I have both in the home) other than prices
4) Is a tankless better than sticking with a water tank? I've heard some are very costly because they constantly are heating your water up, not just when needed.
5) My upstairs is currently only gas (in the wall heater). The second floor was converted. Would it be beneficial to try to join the systems together?
Thanks so much for your help! I need to really start my research on the best system for me and am starting from scratch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps