I am gathering estimates on having my furnace replaced and central air installed (there is none now). Upstairs there are four bedrooms but it is a very small area, only about 650-700 sq ft. Three contractors have been through and I've had three different opinions on how we will handle getting the a/c up to the second level as there are no cold air returns just four feeds.
The estimate that makes the most sense for the right amount of cash calls for a new duct to be run up through a closet, then up into the closet of one of the bedrooms. From there a vent will be put into that room, one in to the room on the opposite wall and then a duct run through the attic and another cold air return vent put into each of the other bedrooms. It is the placement of these vents that has two of the proposals showing a difference. One company wants to put them in the walls near the ceiling, the other wants to put them near the floor. The third company wants to convert the existing vents (just feeds) at baseboard level to returns. They would then pipe a new main duct up into the upstairs, and then all the way up into the attic. From there they would put ducts and vents into the ceilings or walls of the four bedrooms.
I am so confused at the three similar but very different solutions to getting cold air returns up to that level. I know it will have to be done to have proper air circulation and draw but I was always under the impression that the heating vents worked better if they were ground level. I am also a firm believer in the ‚Äúif it aint broke, don‚Äôt fix it‚Äù way of doing things. Getting the upstairs heated is never a problem so I would like to concentrate on just fixing the air conditioning issue. Any place good or bad for returns/new vents? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!