I am gathering estimates on having my furnace replaced and central air installed (there is none now). Upstairs there are four bedrooms but it is a very small area, only about 650-700 sq ft. Three contractors have been through and I've had three different opinions on how we will handle getting the a/c up to the second level as there are no cold air returns just four feeds.
The estimate that makes the most sense for the right amount of cash calls for a new duct to be run up through a closet, then up into the closet of one of the bedrooms. From there a vent will be put into that room, one in to the room on the opposite wall and then a duct run through the attic and another cold air return vent put into each of the other bedrooms. It is the placement of these vents that has two of the proposals showing a difference. One company wants to put them in the walls near the ceiling, the other wants to put them near the floor. The third company wants to convert the existing vents (just feeds) at baseboard level to returns. They would then pipe a new main duct up into the upstairs, and then all the way up into the attic. From there they would put ducts and vents into the ceilings or walls of the four bedrooms.
I am so confused at the three similar but very different solutions to getting cold air returns up to that level. I know it will have to be done to have proper air circulation and draw but I was always under the impression that the heating vents worked better if they were ground level. I am also a firm believer in the ‚Äúif it aint broke, don‚Äôt fix it‚Äù way of doing things. Getting the upstairs heated is never a problem so I would like to concentrate on just fixing the air conditioning issue. Any place good or bad for returns/new vents? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes