Hi all, I am working on finishing my basement and have arrived at the point I need to do a little HVAC work and am looking to the board for a "sanity check" and a little advice. For now I am going to be finishing three rooms: a walk-in storage closet, a rec room and a "theater room". I am not going to do anything HVAC related in the closet so that one is easy. Now the rec room is about 34 X 16 with 8 foot ceilings and three windows. My plan of attack is to install three registers in this room, one over each window. For cold air return I'm thinking that I will make a 32" wide return by "thermopanning" across three studs. Now is it common practice to connect a cold air return to the main return ductwork with pipe (like 6 of 7 inch)? Where I need to put the return I have no direct access to the main trunk and about the only way to get it connected is to use some pipe (ie. I can't thermopan it the whole way). Is this okay? And if so, any recommendations on the size of pipe to use (does it really even matter)? Finally for the theater room (11X14 with 8 foot ceilings) the main trunk of the outgoing (conditioned) air runs through the ceiling (in a soffit) of this room so I am planning on just cutting 2 holes in it and screwing a couple registers into the eventual drywall to get heat to the room. As far as return goes from this room I can put a return in pretty easy as long as it is okay that it will be within a couple feet of the actual furnace in the unfinished part of the basement. (I heard someone mention that returns can't be placed too close to the furnace, but I'm not sure why, it's pulling it's air from a completely different room).
Anybody see any issues with my plan? I would appreciate it greatly if anyone sees any oversights, please point them out. Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight