Hi all, I am working on finishing my basement and have arrived at the point I need to do a little HVAC work and am looking to the board for a "sanity check" and a little advice. For now I am going to be finishing three rooms: a walk-in storage closet, a rec room and a "theater room". I am not going to do anything HVAC related in the closet so that one is easy. Now the rec room is about 34 X 16 with 8 foot ceilings and three windows. My plan of attack is to install three registers in this room, one over each window. For cold air return I'm thinking that I will make a 32" wide return by "thermopanning" across three studs. Now is it common practice to connect a cold air return to the main return ductwork with pipe (like 6 of 7 inch)? Where I need to put the return I have no direct access to the main trunk and about the only way to get it connected is to use some pipe (ie. I can't thermopan it the whole way). Is this okay? And if so, any recommendations on the size of pipe to use (does it really even matter)? Finally for the theater room (11X14 with 8 foot ceilings) the main trunk of the outgoing (conditioned) air runs through the ceiling (in a soffit) of this room so I am planning on just cutting 2 holes in it and screwing a couple registers into the eventual drywall to get heat to the room. As far as return goes from this room I can put a return in pretty easy as long as it is okay that it will be within a couple feet of the actual furnace in the unfinished part of the basement. (I heard someone mention that returns can't be placed too close to the furnace, but I'm not sure why, it's pulling it's air from a completely different room).
Anybody see any issues with my plan? I would appreciate it greatly if anyone sees any oversights, please point them out. Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!