Hi all, I am working on finishing my basement and have arrived at the point I need to do a little HVAC work and am looking to the board for a "sanity check" and a little advice. For now I am going to be finishing three rooms: a walk-in storage closet, a rec room and a "theater room". I am not going to do anything HVAC related in the closet so that one is easy. Now the rec room is about 34 X 16 with 8 foot ceilings and three windows. My plan of attack is to install three registers in this room, one over each window. For cold air return I'm thinking that I will make a 32" wide return by "thermopanning" across three studs. Now is it common practice to connect a cold air return to the main return ductwork with pipe (like 6 of 7 inch)? Where I need to put the return I have no direct access to the main trunk and about the only way to get it connected is to use some pipe (ie. I can't thermopan it the whole way). Is this okay? And if so, any recommendations on the size of pipe to use (does it really even matter)? Finally for the theater room (11X14 with 8 foot ceilings) the main trunk of the outgoing (conditioned) air runs through the ceiling (in a soffit) of this room so I am planning on just cutting 2 holes in it and screwing a couple registers into the eventual drywall to get heat to the room. As far as return goes from this room I can put a return in pretty easy as long as it is okay that it will be within a couple feet of the actual furnace in the unfinished part of the basement. (I heard someone mention that returns can't be placed too close to the furnace, but I'm not sure why, it's pulling it's air from a completely different room).
Anybody see any issues with my plan? I would appreciate it greatly if anyone sees any oversights, please point them out. Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes