MY central air systems had problems this year delivering cold air beddrrons on the second floor. I have a large colonial with two sytems ( 5 tons for upstairs and 3.5 ton for downstairs). The system is about 12 years old and I live rhode island so the system only needs work about 3 months per year. I have talked to a number of dealers and the solution is the same replace the uptairs air handler to get more flow and replace the outside condenser unit. The replacement cost is more that I can afford right now.
Yesterday I got a different opinion. I would comments on this on his solution;
1) Increase the length of the sheetmetal duct work to cut down the amount of flex duct. I have multiple run of over 20 feet.
2) He agrees that the air handler need to be replaced but he recommends only replacing the air handler now and repalce the condsenser in the future. In his view the condenser look fine. This help my short term cost probelm and in his view a new air handler will save some electricty cost ( of course not as much a new high seer unit)
Any negatives of replacing the air handler only.
He asured me that the air hanlder would be compatible with any future condenser.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight