MY central air systems had problems this year delivering cold air beddrrons on the second floor. I have a large colonial with two sytems ( 5 tons for upstairs and 3.5 ton for downstairs). The system is about 12 years old and I live rhode island so the system only needs work about 3 months per year. I have talked to a number of dealers and the solution is the same replace the uptairs air handler to get more flow and replace the outside condenser unit. The replacement cost is more that I can afford right now.
Yesterday I got a different opinion. I would comments on this on his solution;
1) Increase the length of the sheetmetal duct work to cut down the amount of flex duct. I have multiple run of over 20 feet.
2) He agrees that the air handler need to be replaced but he recommends only replacing the air handler now and repalce the condsenser in the future. In his view the condenser look fine. This help my short term cost probelm and in his view a new air handler will save some electricty cost ( of course not as much a new high seer unit)
Any negatives of replacing the air handler only.
He asured me that the air hanlder would be compatible with any future condenser.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight