MY central air systems had problems this year delivering cold air beddrrons on the second floor. I have a large colonial with two sytems ( 5 tons for upstairs and 3.5 ton for downstairs). The system is about 12 years old and I live rhode island so the system only needs work about 3 months per year. I have talked to a number of dealers and the solution is the same replace the uptairs air handler to get more flow and replace the outside condenser unit. The replacement cost is more that I can afford right now.
Yesterday I got a different opinion. I would comments on this on his solution;
1) Increase the length of the sheetmetal duct work to cut down the amount of flex duct. I have multiple run of over 20 feet.
2) He agrees that the air handler need to be replaced but he recommends only replacing the air handler now and repalce the condsenser in the future. In his view the condenser look fine. This help my short term cost probelm and in his view a new air handler will save some electricty cost ( of course not as much a new high seer unit)
Any negatives of replacing the air handler only.
He asured me that the air hanlder would be compatible with any future condenser.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers