I have a 10 year old two story house, 2000 sf with forced air. Initially the upstairs was always too warm in summer, and too cold in winter. I rebalanced the supply dampers, and now the cooling is fairly even in summer. The problem persists in the winter though. Typically it is 3-4 degrees cooler upstairs than on the first floor.
Attic insulation appears adequate. It is a bit hard to tell since it is the blown in cellulose type. I can add some but I do not think that is the problem. I also have hydronic heated floor in the basement.
I have a few ideas and want to see if anyone has comments on this or other ideas:
1) turn off hydronic heat in basement. this may be rising and heating first floor where thermostat is located and so the furnace does not run enough.
2) 2nd floor return vents located near the ceiling. I could add a second return at floor level and close off the upper vent in winter.
3) cover a couple returns on the first floor (less than 50%) to increase return flow from 2nd floor.
4) supply ducts run up exterior walls. this is probably not good, but I don't know what I can do about it.
5) get a home energy audit and see what recomendations they make. anyone else do this and been happy with the results?
6) run blower 24/7 instead of cycling on and off with the heat. is this bad for the blower though?
Any other ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance. I just want to be able to heat the house evenly.
And why does the air conditioner cool evenly but not the heat?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees