I have a 10 year old two story house, 2000 sf with forced air. Initially the upstairs was always too warm in summer, and too cold in winter. I rebalanced the supply dampers, and now the cooling is fairly even in summer. The problem persists in the winter though. Typically it is 3-4 degrees cooler upstairs than on the first floor.
Attic insulation appears adequate. It is a bit hard to tell since it is the blown in cellulose type. I can add some but I do not think that is the problem. I also have hydronic heated floor in the basement.
I have a few ideas and want to see if anyone has comments on this or other ideas:
1) turn off hydronic heat in basement. this may be rising and heating first floor where thermostat is located and so the furnace does not run enough.
2) 2nd floor return vents located near the ceiling. I could add a second return at floor level and close off the upper vent in winter.
3) cover a couple returns on the first floor (less than 50%) to increase return flow from 2nd floor.
4) supply ducts run up exterior walls. this is probably not good, but I don't know what I can do about it.
5) get a home energy audit and see what recomendations they make. anyone else do this and been happy with the results?
6) run blower 24/7 instead of cycling on and off with the heat. is this bad for the blower though?
Any other ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance. I just want to be able to heat the house evenly.
And why does the air conditioner cool evenly but not the heat?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates