I have a 10 year old two story house, 2000 sf with forced air. Initially the upstairs was always too warm in summer, and too cold in winter. I rebalanced the supply dampers, and now the cooling is fairly even in summer. The problem persists in the winter though. Typically it is 3-4 degrees cooler upstairs than on the first floor.
Attic insulation appears adequate. It is a bit hard to tell since it is the blown in cellulose type. I can add some but I do not think that is the problem. I also have hydronic heated floor in the basement.
I have a few ideas and want to see if anyone has comments on this or other ideas:
1) turn off hydronic heat in basement. this may be rising and heating first floor where thermostat is located and so the furnace does not run enough.
2) 2nd floor return vents located near the ceiling. I could add a second return at floor level and close off the upper vent in winter.
3) cover a couple returns on the first floor (less than 50%) to increase return flow from 2nd floor.
4) supply ducts run up exterior walls. this is probably not good, but I don't know what I can do about it.
5) get a home energy audit and see what recomendations they make. anyone else do this and been happy with the results?
6) run blower 24/7 instead of cycling on and off with the heat. is this bad for the blower though?
Any other ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance. I just want to be able to heat the house evenly.
And why does the air conditioner cool evenly but not the heat?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps