I have a 10 year old two story house, 2000 sf with forced air. Initially the upstairs was always too warm in summer, and too cold in winter. I rebalanced the supply dampers, and now the cooling is fairly even in summer. The problem persists in the winter though. Typically it is 3-4 degrees cooler upstairs than on the first floor.
Attic insulation appears adequate. It is a bit hard to tell since it is the blown in cellulose type. I can add some but I do not think that is the problem. I also have hydronic heated floor in the basement.
I have a few ideas and want to see if anyone has comments on this or other ideas:
1) turn off hydronic heat in basement. this may be rising and heating first floor where thermostat is located and so the furnace does not run enough.
2) 2nd floor return vents located near the ceiling. I could add a second return at floor level and close off the upper vent in winter.
3) cover a couple returns on the first floor (less than 50%) to increase return flow from 2nd floor.
4) supply ducts run up exterior walls. this is probably not good, but I don't know what I can do about it.
5) get a home energy audit and see what recomendations they make. anyone else do this and been happy with the results?
6) run blower 24/7 instead of cycling on and off with the heat. is this bad for the blower though?
Any other ideas are welcome. Thank you in advance. I just want to be able to heat the house evenly.
And why does the air conditioner cool evenly but not the heat?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects