Is there a maximum weight/size/depth for upper cabinets in terms of stability or installation?
For a particular portion of a large project, I would like to have an upper cabinet that is 18.5" deep (plus doors). It will be mounted to a 60" wide x 8' tall stud wall. The stud wall is anchored to a concrete ceiling and concrete floor.
Specifics of the cabinet carcass: 60" wide x 29" high x 18." deep. 3/4" cedar plywood with thin Formica laminate interior. 1/2" plywood back. Cabinet is divided into three equal sections. 3/4" bamboo plywood doors. Estimated weight for the empty cabinet/shelves is 118 lbs.
Assembly plan is to use staples and butt joints although I could use wood screws if better. I've built many other cabinets in this manner without problems (and that's how the local cabinetmakers do theirs)
Top/bottom overlap the sides; back overlaps sides/top/bottom.
In addition to affixing the cabinet to the wall through the back panel of the cabinet, I could also anchor it into the ceiling.
Will this hold? Will it come apart? Should I assemble it differently for strength? Go with a more standard (12" deep) size?
The upper cabinet in question is part of a room divider type of thing; 60" wide by 42 deep x 96" high. I built a new stud wall to contain the electrical and provide support. One side will have a 60w x 36h x 18.5d lower cabinet (9 drawers), 18" tiled backsplash, 60w x 40h x 12d upper cabinets. The other side has a 60w x 32h x 18.5d lower cabinet (6 drawers), a large gap for TV and shelves, and the upper cabinet as described above. After installation of all of the cabinets, the sides will be "paneled" by 3/4" bamboo plywood, screwed to the cabinets from inside the cabinets so that the surface is not marred by screws. The sides of the upper cabinets will be screwed into this paneling so that will provide some additional support.
Hope this makes sense.
Input is appreciated...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes