We have a ranch home with hot water baseboard heat with two zones. The living room has a 10 foot bay window and a 6 foot patio door both with thermopane low e-glass and have a southern exposure. The thermostat for the living room zone is located on the interior wall between the living room and the dining room/kitchen on the north side of the house. Both areas are on the same heating zone. On cloudy days the temperature difference between the living room and DR/kitchen are about 1 - 2 degrees, but on sunny days that can vary by 5 - 6 degrees due to solar gain with the living room being much warmer. What can be done to help balance the temperatures between the areas short of installing a separate zone with thermostat, circulator and piping for the DR/kitchen? Could a duct be installed with a thermostatically controlled fan be installed in the partition wall between the DR/Kit and living room to help balance the temperatures?
Re-piping to create a separate zone would require the addition of a separate circulator, changing out the three zone control (one zone for domestic hot water) with a 4 zone control, about 100' of copper piping back to furnace at opposite end of basement, and addition of a thermostat. All are doable, but is this the least cost solution? Would the use of two zone valves to split the one zone be a possible solution? This might mean use of less piping, no changing of controls, and no new circulator. Any suggestions/experience on use of a through the wall duct fan?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight