A Google search turned up the following thread on hvacmechanic.com forums:
We have the same issue as NRoger:
"The main burners on my Carrier 58SS run for about 15 seconds, turn off, then repeat. From reading on this site, I suspect that the flame sensor is at fault, and would like to clean or replace the sensor. Can someone tell me where to find the flame sensor on this unit?"
Is NRoger correct that this issue is caused by the flame sensor?
What is the procedure for cleaning accumulated soot & carbon from the safety element / sensing probe / flame sensor? I have all the original owner's, service, & part manuals for this unit. However, this procedure is not explained in detail. The pilot mounting bracket and burner assembly obstruct one's view of the flame sensor. I imagine one has to remove the pilot assembly to clean or replace the flame senor. Is this correct?
Should the sensor be replaced rather than cleaned? It is still the original part.
Or should we consider replacing the entire furnace since it is now 23 years old? I replaced the main blower in 1998 and the induced draft motor in 1999 myself. What is the life expectancy of the heat exchanger?
air in water pipe
Plumbing PVC to Galvanized
Extra wires switching to new Carrier 325878-751 heat...
Resco, Carrier control board flakes out
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees