A Google search turned up the following thread on hvacmechanic.com forums:
We have the same issue as NRoger:
"The main burners on my Carrier 58SS run for about 15 seconds, turn off, then repeat. From reading on this site, I suspect that the flame sensor is at fault, and would like to clean or replace the sensor. Can someone tell me where to find the flame sensor on this unit?"
Is NRoger correct that this issue is caused by the flame sensor?
What is the procedure for cleaning accumulated soot & carbon from the safety element / sensing probe / flame sensor? I have all the original owner's, service, & part manuals for this unit. However, this procedure is not explained in detail. The pilot mounting bracket and burner assembly obstruct one's view of the flame sensor. I imagine one has to remove the pilot assembly to clean or replace the flame senor. Is this correct?
Should the sensor be replaced rather than cleaned? It is still the original part.
Or should we consider replacing the entire furnace since it is now 23 years old? I replaced the main blower in 1998 and the induced draft motor in 1999 myself. What is the life expectancy of the heat exchanger?
air in water pipe
Plumbing PVC to Galvanized
Extra wires switching to new Carrier 325878-751 heat...
Resco, Carrier control board flakes out
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs