I have a beach house in NC that was built in 2003.
We have continuing problems with the HVAC not handling moisture in the house and drywall damage under the air handlers. We have paid >$20,000 to have ducts sealed, ceilings replaced, a dehumidifier installed, etc. and the problems still exist.
We need to replace both our HVAC units because the coils corrode in the salty, humid air.
The HVAC contractors I have spoken with want us to install variable speed units of 13 to 16 SEER, we now have 10 SEER, not variable speed. They also want us to replace all of the duct work! One wants us to seal the attic too. The estimates for these proposals are coming in at well over $50,000.
They say if we install variable speed units with the existing ductwork the moisture problem will be worse.
I do not know what to do and would appreciate some advice from people who have dealt with this type of issue.
The water does not get out of the pans. The moisture is on the ducts that come out of the air handler. The HVAC people say the dew point is too extreme between the ducts and the outside air (the house is on pilings) and that causes them to sweat excessively. We had the ceiling dropped so the duct work could be insulated more, all of the regular insulation replaced, all of the duct work sealed with Mastic but the ceiling of the garage continues to rot.
Water Coming from AC
Wind blowing in our new home HELP!!
Please help with advice on beaver board aka maftex!
Propane or Electric for new NC home
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs