I have a beach house in NC that was built in 2003.
We have continuing problems with the HVAC not handling moisture in the house and drywall damage under the air handlers. We have paid >$20,000 to have ducts sealed, ceilings replaced, a dehumidifier installed, etc. and the problems still exist.
We need to replace both our HVAC units because the coils corrode in the salty, humid air.
The HVAC contractors I have spoken with want us to install variable speed units of 13 to 16 SEER, we now have 10 SEER, not variable speed. They also want us to replace all of the duct work! One wants us to seal the attic too. The estimates for these proposals are coming in at well over $50,000.
They say if we install variable speed units with the existing ductwork the moisture problem will be worse.
I do not know what to do and would appreciate some advice from people who have dealt with this type of issue.
The water does not get out of the pans. The moisture is on the ducts that come out of the air handler. The HVAC people say the dew point is too extreme between the ducts and the outside air (the house is on pilings) and that causes them to sweat excessively. We had the ceiling dropped so the duct work could be insulated more, all of the regular insulation replaced, all of the duct work sealed with Mastic but the ceiling of the garage continues to rot.
Water Coming from AC
Wind blowing in our new home HELP!!
Please help with advice on beaver board aka maftex!
Propane or Electric for new NC home
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects