I have a beach house in NC that was built in 2003.
We have continuing problems with the HVAC not handling moisture in the house and drywall damage under the air handlers. We have paid >$20,000 to have ducts sealed, ceilings replaced, a dehumidifier installed, etc. and the problems still exist.
We need to replace both our HVAC units because the coils corrode in the salty, humid air.
The HVAC contractors I have spoken with want us to install variable speed units of 13 to 16 SEER, we now have 10 SEER, not variable speed. They also want us to replace all of the duct work! One wants us to seal the attic too. The estimates for these proposals are coming in at well over $50,000.
They say if we install variable speed units with the existing ductwork the moisture problem will be worse.
I do not know what to do and would appreciate some advice from people who have dealt with this type of issue.
The water does not get out of the pans. The moisture is on the ducts that come out of the air handler. The HVAC people say the dew point is too extreme between the ducts and the outside air (the house is on pilings) and that causes them to sweat excessively. We had the ceiling dropped so the duct work could be insulated more, all of the regular insulation replaced, all of the duct work sealed with Mastic but the ceiling of the garage continues to rot.
Water Coming from AC
Wind blowing in our new home HELP!!
Please help with advice on beaver board aka maftex!
Propane or Electric for new NC home
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps