I had the first of 3 HVAC companies come in to give me an estimate on replacing my 20 year old furnace (which still works) with a high efficiency unit. As i live in upstate new york the central AC only gets used a few weeks a year so efficiency is not that important, and i did not plan on replacing it until it breaks. The sales person (who was somewhat pushy) told me a number of things that I would like to verify.
1. Told me that i definitely should replace AC unit at same time because the AC inside unit (evaporator i think it is called) is old and might leak and since it sits above the furnace it could damage the new furnace?
2. Told me that I needed to also replace the outside AC unit, because the new inside unit will only work with the new Freon (14?) and my outside unit uses Freon (22?) which can no longer be sold as of next year. Is this correct?
3. Told me that they would include some sort of high efficiency filter begins with an M that is a cartridge that gets replaced once a year. At first he said this was a $450 item that they were throwing in, but then told me the cartridges cost about $80. Any thoughts on these? We don't have allergies
4. They are also throwing in a new programmable thermostat, our power company gives a $25 rebate on this and supposedly the thermostat costs less than that so they give you one. Does this make sense?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!