I had the first of 3 HVAC companies come in to give me an estimate on replacing my 20 year old furnace (which still works) with a high efficiency unit. As i live in upstate new york the central AC only gets used a few weeks a year so efficiency is not that important, and i did not plan on replacing it until it breaks. The sales person (who was somewhat pushy) told me a number of things that I would like to verify.
1. Told me that i definitely should replace AC unit at same time because the AC inside unit (evaporator i think it is called) is old and might leak and since it sits above the furnace it could damage the new furnace?
2. Told me that I needed to also replace the outside AC unit, because the new inside unit will only work with the new Freon (14?) and my outside unit uses Freon (22?) which can no longer be sold as of next year. Is this correct?
3. Told me that they would include some sort of high efficiency filter begins with an M that is a cartridge that gets replaced once a year. At first he said this was a $450 item that they were throwing in, but then told me the cartridges cost about $80. Any thoughts on these? We don't have allergies
4. They are also throwing in a new programmable thermostat, our power company gives a $25 rebate on this and supposedly the thermostat costs less than that so they give you one. Does this make sense?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!