I have a furnace approx. 20 years old, one stage. When the outside temp gets extremely cold (single digits), the furnace acts up. The pattern is usually around 4 in the morning, the furnace stops producing heat and blows cold air. But it still attempts to cycle, so the thermostat seems to be working as it should. When I turn it off and let it sit for a few hours, it begins working normally again. I assume this is an overheating issue, because when it gets that cold the furnace is cycling on and off almost continually. Is this something that can be repaired, or am I better off just replacing the furnace. And if the latter, would a 2-stage be more advantageous? My home is a 2-level townhouse approx 45 years old. The ductwork has been amended over the years and the furnace location is extremely tight. I have owned the home less than 2 years, so don't know the service history, but I had it serviced last year and was told it was in decent shape. As an FYI, I have noticed the last two summers that the A/C has a similar pattern, though very infrequent - maybe a couple times in a season. Thanks for any advice.
after you make sure the filter is spotless,the a/c evaporator coil could be starting to get blocked with dirt.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes