New to this forum and hope I can get advice from you experts out there
As background, I will be closing on a 20 year old colonial home in NJ in the near future. The house is in pretty good condition but has original everything from 20 years ago. I plan on renovating the kitchen and baths at a later date to EnergyStar items, so my first try at "green" adventures are headed towards heating and cooling.
Here is what I plan to do within the first 5-6 months:
1) add radiant barrier to attic (to reflect IR heat), I plan to install this on my own
2) install whole house fan (to pull in cooler outside air), I plan to install this on my own
3) change first floor heating from forced hot air to under floor hot water radiant heat (main level furnace needs replacement and radiant heating is more efficient and comfortable) currently getting estimates from contractors
4) update water heater to tankless water heater (suppose to save money also) getting estimates on this also
5) heat pump to help supplement the efficiencies for heating and cooling (not sure of this technology yet, still doing research)
Let me know if these are good to start with and if any of you have had any experiences you would like to share, please do.
X10 Lighting Control
Electrical service upgrad from fuses to circuit brea...
Forced Hot Air Zoning
attic remodel; where to put the duct work? Smaller ...
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING