New to this forum and hope I can get advice from you experts out there
As background, I will be closing on a 20 year old colonial home in NJ in the near future. The house is in pretty good condition but has original everything from 20 years ago. I plan on renovating the kitchen and baths at a later date to EnergyStar items, so my first try at "green" adventures are headed towards heating and cooling.
Here is what I plan to do within the first 5-6 months:
1) add radiant barrier to attic (to reflect IR heat), I plan to install this on my own
2) install whole house fan (to pull in cooler outside air), I plan to install this on my own
3) change first floor heating from forced hot air to under floor hot water radiant heat (main level furnace needs replacement and radiant heating is more efficient and comfortable) currently getting estimates from contractors
4) update water heater to tankless water heater (suppose to save money also) getting estimates on this also
5) heat pump to help supplement the efficiencies for heating and cooling (not sure of this technology yet, still doing research)
Let me know if these are good to start with and if any of you have had any experiences you would like to share, please do.
X10 Lighting Control
Electrical service upgrad from fuses to circuit brea...
Forced Hot Air Zoning
attic remodel; where to put the duct work? Smaller ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!