What are some of the qualities I should look for in this type of remodeling contractor?
My home is 70 years old and was built without a garage but I could use the extra storage space.
How can I tell if the contractor is bidding to low (and will hit me with costs later or too high because they don't want the project.
Any help would be appreciated.
You want someone with good carpentry skills and access to good concrete people for the foundation of it. Ask around at your village hall for names of companies that focus on garages. When you check references, always go look at their previous jobs. Get a written contract that spells out everything from the type of lumber to the style of the door. Add a clause that says you won't authorize any more charges unless they are agreed to in writing. Make sure the contractor takes out a permit and NEVER pay ahead of the work being done-- a 10 percent downpayment should be fine. If the contractor doesn't have credit to use for buying materials, then you don't want to hire him. Hope this helps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs