What are some of the qualities I should look for in this type of remodeling contractor?
My home is 70 years old and was built without a garage but I could use the extra storage space.
How can I tell if the contractor is bidding to low (and will hit me with costs later or too high because they don't want the project.
Any help would be appreciated.
You want someone with good carpentry skills and access to good concrete people for the foundation of it. Ask around at your village hall for names of companies that focus on garages. When you check references, always go look at their previous jobs. Get a written contract that spells out everything from the type of lumber to the style of the door. Add a clause that says you won't authorize any more charges unless they are agreed to in writing. Make sure the contractor takes out a permit and NEVER pay ahead of the work being done-- a 10 percent downpayment should be fine. If the contractor doesn't have credit to use for buying materials, then you don't want to hire him. Hope this helps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Handy Household Uses for Vinegar
- 12 Easy Ways to Boost Bathroom Storage
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 10 Ways to Live Large in 400 Sq. Ft. or Less
- Brilliant New Uses for Old Wooden Doors