What are some of the qualities I should look for in this type of remodeling contractor?
My home is 70 years old and was built without a garage but I could use the extra storage space.
How can I tell if the contractor is bidding to low (and will hit me with costs later or too high because they don't want the project.
Any help would be appreciated.
You want someone with good carpentry skills and access to good concrete people for the foundation of it. Ask around at your village hall for names of companies that focus on garages. When you check references, always go look at their previous jobs. Get a written contract that spells out everything from the type of lumber to the style of the door. Add a clause that says you won't authorize any more charges unless they are agreed to in writing. Make sure the contractor takes out a permit and NEVER pay ahead of the work being done-- a 10 percent downpayment should be fine. If the contractor doesn't have credit to use for buying materials, then you don't want to hire him. Hope this helps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates