What are some of the qualities I should look for in this type of remodeling contractor?
My home is 70 years old and was built without a garage but I could use the extra storage space.
How can I tell if the contractor is bidding to low (and will hit me with costs later or too high because they don't want the project.
Any help would be appreciated.
You want someone with good carpentry skills and access to good concrete people for the foundation of it. Ask around at your village hall for names of companies that focus on garages. When you check references, always go look at their previous jobs. Get a written contract that spells out everything from the type of lumber to the style of the door. Add a clause that says you won't authorize any more charges unless they are agreed to in writing. Make sure the contractor takes out a permit and NEVER pay ahead of the work being done-- a 10 percent downpayment should be fine. If the contractor doesn't have credit to use for buying materials, then you don't want to hire him. Hope this helps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps