Thanks. Tom M
If u require a 20amp system you dont have to use 12 wire but you do have to use 12 wire if you want to comply to code. If you are taking the trouble to run thourgh the wall and into the attic etc. instead of conduit exterior to the finished walls you should use a 12/3 wire just incase you require another curcuit at a later date.
Physics require 12-2 wire for for 20amp circuit. The code is not written to be annoying.
Do not even think of using 14 guage wire with a 20 amp breaker unless you are looking to collect on your fire insurance. You are defeating the purpose of the breaker. A breaker is supposed to trip before the wire overheats. Size 14 wire cannot handle 20 amps. A saw and shop vac can easily overload the 14 wire.
You must use 12 guage wire for a 20 amp breaker. 12-2 is ok. 12-3 is used for 3-way switches and getting power to a switch at the end of a circuit.
Since this is for a workshop - get industrial grade outlets. If there is water nearby, get a 20amp GFCI. They cost more but what price is a life?
#14 - 15 amps max
#12 - 20 amps max
#10 - 30 amps max
#8 - 40 amps max
The circuit breaker or fuse is sized to protect the wire. But, don't always assume that because someone has a #12 wire protected with a 30amp overcurrent device that it is wrong. A wire's ampacity and a max voltage is determined by the insulation protecting that particular wire. Some size 14 wires can handle 30 amps... House wire or sheathed electrical cable is similar to THHN or MTW wire insulation. Hope this helps, but definately run a #12 wire if you want 20 amp service!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them