I have a Hunter brand ceiling fan. The fan was installed in 1989. Recently, a burning smell was noticed and it was also noticed that the fan could only run on the fastest speed. After disassembly, a large black rectangle was burned. This capacitor has four wires and has markings indicating 5 uf, or microfarads, I think. All the replacement capacitors at the home center are 1.5, 3.5, or 6 micorfarads. The speed control switch has five wires. Can the replacements at the home center be used? They are not Hunter brand and my limited electrical skills have me unsure about the differences in capacitance. PS: I did cut off the breaker before working on the fan! Thank you in advance!
ceiling fan wiring help
Wiring on ceiling/fan light combo with remote and in...
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Wiring c Ceiling Fan with Separate Fan and Light Swi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!