POWER THRU OUTLET TO LIGHT SWITCH
should wires be across from each other on the same plug or should they be to the back of both plugs .... any help would be apperciated thanks
Do you have power to the switch or can't get power there?
What is the switch controlling and is the switch before or after it?
Here's what you are looking for, I think.
If you want to have the light controlled by two switches, that is another issue and these directions will not work.
You just want to put power to the switch, then onto a light. You do not want the switch to control the outlet.
Turn the power off at the breaker.
Run 14/2 with ground sheathed electrical cable from the outlet to the switch. If the wires into the outlet are directly attached to the outlet, remove them and replace with short leads. Now pigtail the blacks together, the whites together, and the ground (bare) wires together.
At the switch box, run 14/2 sheathed electrical cable to the light. Pigtail the whites together. Pigtail the grounds together. Attach one black wire to a screw on the switch. Attach the other black to the other screw on the switch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY