POWER THRU OUTLET TO LIGHT SWITCH
should wires be across from each other on the same plug or should they be to the back of both plugs .... any help would be apperciated thanks
Do you have power to the switch or can't get power there?
What is the switch controlling and is the switch before or after it?
Here's what you are looking for, I think.
If you want to have the light controlled by two switches, that is another issue and these directions will not work.
You just want to put power to the switch, then onto a light. You do not want the switch to control the outlet.
Turn the power off at the breaker.
Run 14/2 with ground sheathed electrical cable from the outlet to the switch. If the wires into the outlet are directly attached to the outlet, remove them and replace with short leads. Now pigtail the blacks together, the whites together, and the ground (bare) wires together.
At the switch box, run 14/2 sheathed electrical cable to the light. Pigtail the whites together. Pigtail the grounds together. Attach one black wire to a screw on the switch. Attach the other black to the other screw on the switch.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda