POWER THRU OUTLET TO LIGHT SWITCH
should wires be across from each other on the same plug or should they be to the back of both plugs .... any help would be apperciated thanks
Do you have power to the switch or can't get power there?
What is the switch controlling and is the switch before or after it?
Here's what you are looking for, I think.
If you want to have the light controlled by two switches, that is another issue and these directions will not work.
You just want to put power to the switch, then onto a light. You do not want the switch to control the outlet.
Turn the power off at the breaker.
Run 14/2 with ground sheathed electrical cable from the outlet to the switch. If the wires into the outlet are directly attached to the outlet, remove them and replace with short leads. Now pigtail the blacks together, the whites together, and the ground (bare) wires together.
At the switch box, run 14/2 sheathed electrical cable to the light. Pigtail the whites together. Pigtail the grounds together. Attach one black wire to a screw on the switch. Attach the other black to the other screw on the switch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs