POWER THRU OUTLET TO LIGHT SWITCH
should wires be across from each other on the same plug or should they be to the back of both plugs .... any help would be apperciated thanks
Do you have power to the switch or can't get power there?
What is the switch controlling and is the switch before or after it?
Here's what you are looking for, I think.
If you want to have the light controlled by two switches, that is another issue and these directions will not work.
You just want to put power to the switch, then onto a light. You do not want the switch to control the outlet.
Turn the power off at the breaker.
Run 14/2 with ground sheathed electrical cable from the outlet to the switch. If the wires into the outlet are directly attached to the outlet, remove them and replace with short leads. Now pigtail the blacks together, the whites together, and the ground (bare) wires together.
At the switch box, run 14/2 sheathed electrical cable to the light. Pigtail the whites together. Pigtail the grounds together. Attach one black wire to a screw on the switch. Attach the other black to the other screw on the switch.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs