Simple task Mr. Axeman. The first thing I would do is swap breakers with another of the same rating- it could be a bad breaker.
The majority of shorts occur in the outlet boxes. Begin by removing every outlet from the box and examine the wires carefully. Pay attention to where the clamp in the back of the box holds the wire. People like to tighten these down so the wall would pull apart faster than the wire. After everyting is out and no wires are touching, flip the breaker back on and see what happens. If you are using an ohmeter you can isolate the short on the ohms scale by touching each black wire to the box (power off of course). If the breaker stays on then find the one hot wire. Connect it back to the outlet along with the other black & white wire that sends it to the next outlet. Continue this until the breaker pops and you have found the short.
If the breaker popped when you first reinstalled the power, then the short is on the first leg of the run. Pull the black wire off the breaker and check that side of the wiring also. Do this and let us know if you still have problems. I am going to ass u me the meter you used was an ohmeter, even though I shouldn't.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!