Simple task Mr. Axeman. The first thing I would do is swap breakers with another of the same rating- it could be a bad breaker.
The majority of shorts occur in the outlet boxes. Begin by removing every outlet from the box and examine the wires carefully. Pay attention to where the clamp in the back of the box holds the wire. People like to tighten these down so the wall would pull apart faster than the wire. After everyting is out and no wires are touching, flip the breaker back on and see what happens. If you are using an ohmeter you can isolate the short on the ohms scale by touching each black wire to the box (power off of course). If the breaker stays on then find the one hot wire. Connect it back to the outlet along with the other black & white wire that sends it to the next outlet. Continue this until the breaker pops and you have found the short.
If the breaker popped when you first reinstalled the power, then the short is on the first leg of the run. Pull the black wire off the breaker and check that side of the wiring also. Do this and let us know if you still have problems. I am going to ass u me the meter you used was an ohmeter, even though I shouldn't.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers