Kitchen Outlets Blow Fuses
After I hooked up the outlets I inserted the devices that house the fuses into the fuse box and turned the power back on. All four fuses blew. The windows in the fuses were black (which I have read indicates a short somewhere). I took all of the wires off of the outlets and inserted new fuses again. This time the fuses did not burn out (without the wires being connected to the outlets). Each of the outlet boxes has a black, a red, a white and a ground wire. I tested the wires for incoming power and found this to be true for the blacks and the reds. Could someone tell me where I am going wrong? If I can't solve this I will call an electrician but if it is something simple I would like to try. Thanks
This is the same set up as my parents kitchen outlets at their house. I checked to make sure.
My guess is the original installer wanted two seperate circuits to run the kitchen appliances and they are sharing the neutral wire. Try connecting just the black and white wires to the outlets and see if the fuses hold.
Let me know what happens and I'll take you from there. Don't want to give you information that will not help.......
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!