Kitchen Outlets Blow Fuses
After I hooked up the outlets I inserted the devices that house the fuses into the fuse box and turned the power back on. All four fuses blew. The windows in the fuses were black (which I have read indicates a short somewhere). I took all of the wires off of the outlets and inserted new fuses again. This time the fuses did not burn out (without the wires being connected to the outlets). Each of the outlet boxes has a black, a red, a white and a ground wire. I tested the wires for incoming power and found this to be true for the blacks and the reds. Could someone tell me where I am going wrong? If I can't solve this I will call an electrician but if it is something simple I would like to try. Thanks
This is the same set up as my parents kitchen outlets at their house. I checked to make sure.
My guess is the original installer wanted two seperate circuits to run the kitchen appliances and they are sharing the neutral wire. Try connecting just the black and white wires to the outlets and see if the fuses hold.
Let me know what happens and I'll take you from there. Don't want to give you information that will not help.......
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes