Dimming lights and/or faulty breaker etc.
Several months ago the lights in my daughter's room starting dimming irregularly as if there was a power drain. In fact, her computer would reboot itself. One day, all power went out. I went to our breaker box and the 20 amp breaker to her room had not tripped. This breaker was a two pole breaker and the 2nd one was open. I fed the hot wire into the open breaker and power was restored. This led me to believe the breaker was bad. Several weeks later it started to happen again and once again the power shut off without the breaker being tripped. I replaced the 2 pole breaker with a new one and everything seems okay again but I am now wondering if there is a bigger problem. I have looked in the attic at the junction boxes and see no obvious signs of a problem. The wiring in the room is done with 12-2 three wire. She has lots of appliances obviously but I don't think it could be too much for a 20 amp breaker. Even if it was, the breaker should have tripped, not gone bad. Any thoughts ?
I've had a similar problem in my computer room. One day i had the usual amount of items plugged in my surge protector,then i plugged in a lamp. About 5 seconds later the power flickered off in the room i was in and the room next door. I check the breaker but it wasn't tripped. Just wondering if you found a solution to your problem?
It sounds like a bigger problem I cant say for sure what it is so I would recomend you hire an electrician. There are always problems that occur that only experience can fix. Fire is a big danger with faulty wiring dont let this go. I have been an electrician for 10 years and I have seen people wait only to end up having a fire. Not all projects are DIY. Electrical work is not a hoby !
Dimming lights, circuit breakers not tripping. I'm b...
outdoor christmas lights tripping GFI breaker HELP!!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers