I've installed several lights and relocated switches and outlets. When ever I route wire down to an existing switch or outlet, I usually have to cut out a section of drywall near the switch or outlet to get the wire in which results to drywall patches. There's got to be a better way!. Is there a "trick of the trade" that would eliminate cutting into the drywall. Please respond..
The easiest way for me, and the way I did my house was to tape the new wire to the old wire. You are then installing the new wire and removing the old wire at the same time. This can be done by pulling from the room to the attic or by pulling down from the attic to the room. Make sure it's secured well however or you'll be back to cutting a hole to find the wire or using a "fish tape". A "fish tape" is a stiff wire (available at any home supply store) the new wire connects to and "supposedly" will go directly down the wall to the receptable box. This works pretty well on an interior wall with no firebreaks or insulation, but, in my opinion, isn't worth a darn on an exterior wall. The tape trick works well though. I used the heavy duty packing tape.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight