I've installed several lights and relocated switches and outlets. When ever I route wire down to an existing switch or outlet, I usually have to cut out a section of drywall near the switch or outlet to get the wire in which results to drywall patches. There's got to be a better way!. Is there a "trick of the trade" that would eliminate cutting into the drywall. Please respond..
The easiest way for me, and the way I did my house was to tape the new wire to the old wire. You are then installing the new wire and removing the old wire at the same time. This can be done by pulling from the room to the attic or by pulling down from the attic to the room. Make sure it's secured well however or you'll be back to cutting a hole to find the wire or using a "fish tape". A "fish tape" is a stiff wire (available at any home supply store) the new wire connects to and "supposedly" will go directly down the wall to the receptable box. This works pretty well on an interior wall with no firebreaks or insulation, but, in my opinion, isn't worth a darn on an exterior wall. The tape trick works well though. I used the heavy duty packing tape.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers