When we first bought our house a few months ago, I went around and replaced all of the electrical outlets. I prefer white, and the old owner had beige, and in some cases, bright red outlets (he actually painted them).
While changing these outlets, I had some people warning me to be very careful because I was a "newbie" and they didn't want me frying myself. .
Others said that, worst case scenario, you could get a nasty shock from the outlet, but there wasn't enough juice to kill yourself.
Some articles that I've read have said that if the outlet was wired wrong, you could kill yourself.
So the questions are ...
1. In a standard electical outlet in newer homes, is there enough juice to kill someone?
2. If it's true that you can seriously hurt yourself by wiring the outlet wrong, just what is "wrong"? Is it a matter of not grounding, or putting the black wire where the white wire is suppose to go?