After I'm done, I'm looking at some of the wire I cut out, and I realize that it is aluminum wire not copper like everything else in the condo (it is a bright silver color all the way through). I used a socket only approved for copper. I don't do this that often and because the unit was constructed in 1982 I didn't expect or even think to look at the wire beforehand. Now, I'm reading on the web that even after aluminum was no longer used for in-house resindential wiring (1972?), it was still used sporadically for some of the high voltage branches (dryer, range, etc.). Dooh!!
-Am I right about the wiring or is there a copper wire or something else that is silver all the way through?
-Is it OK to leave this wiring in place for a few days until I can get an AL\CU rated outlet or do I need to shut the circuit down ASAP?
-Should I just bite the bullet and call an electrician???
I am eternally grateful for any help!!!