too much on one circuit?
We bought this house last august and we really didn'know there was a problem with using lights and appliances. Any light in the house that's on will go dim or get real bright when an appliance kicks on. Fridge toaster oven dishwasher. washing machine and so on. This housewas built in 1972 and I wouldn't think the wiring would be outdated. Could it be too much on one or more circuits. It is a 100 amp service and a breaker has never been tripped. Any ideas please I've lived with this long but I think I will have to get it looked into.
What I would do is separate, your lighting from your mechanicles, motors, and go from there. The light is tied in to fridge(motor), dish wash(motor) etc. Look into whether those circuits are on the same leg of power, if so place those circuits on one leg, your lights on the other. If your lights are on the same circuit as the fridge, dish wash, etc, you'll have to run new lines to those appliances. hope this helps
Sounds like you have a loose neutral/grounded conductor/white wire connection somewhere. If it affects all circuits, it may be in the main panel, meter socket, or even on the power company side. Check with your neighbors to see if they have problems, if so it could be at the transformer. Contact an electrician and the power company to check it out at the meter and the panel. A loose neutral will cause bulbs to burn out quicker and possibly your appliance motors. The loose connection can get hot and start a fire without tripping the breaker. Post back what you find out.
Can I switch a 20 amp ciruit breaker in for a 15 amp?
Number of Outlets Per Circuit
High electric bill--too much on one circuit?
Outlets per circuit
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!