too much on one circuit?
We bought this house last august and we really didn'know there was a problem with using lights and appliances. Any light in the house that's on will go dim or get real bright when an appliance kicks on. Fridge toaster oven dishwasher. washing machine and so on. This housewas built in 1972 and I wouldn't think the wiring would be outdated. Could it be too much on one or more circuits. It is a 100 amp service and a breaker has never been tripped. Any ideas please I've lived with this long but I think I will have to get it looked into.
What I would do is separate, your lighting from your mechanicles, motors, and go from there. The light is tied in to fridge(motor), dish wash(motor) etc. Look into whether those circuits are on the same leg of power, if so place those circuits on one leg, your lights on the other. If your lights are on the same circuit as the fridge, dish wash, etc, you'll have to run new lines to those appliances. hope this helps
Sounds like you have a loose neutral/grounded conductor/white wire connection somewhere. If it affects all circuits, it may be in the main panel, meter socket, or even on the power company side. Check with your neighbors to see if they have problems, if so it could be at the transformer. Contact an electrician and the power company to check it out at the meter and the panel. A loose neutral will cause bulbs to burn out quicker and possibly your appliance motors. The loose connection can get hot and start a fire without tripping the breaker. Post back what you find out.
Can I switch a 20 amp ciruit breaker in for a 15 amp?
Number of Outlets Per Circuit
High electric bill--too much on one circuit?
Outlets per circuit
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY